LAMMMMMMEEEEEEE

Today's Top 5? Top 5 Lamest Mascots!


#5 What strikes more fear into the hearts of men than..... an orange? The mascot for the Syracuse Orange is Otto the Orange. The Syracuse Mascot was originally a Native American character named Saltine Warrior, but the Native American students petitioned to have the mascot changed because of its "Stereotypical portrayal of Native Americans." 17 years went by before they decided on a mascot, and what was chosen? (by the student body, no less.) Otto the Orange...I mean... Really?




#4 At first glance I see rotten celery... But it seems the Wichita State WuShock is actually a giant living bound bundle of wheat. In 1904 The team's manager chose the name because many of the players earned money during the off season harvesting (or "shocking") wheat in the surrounding fields. No offence mister manager sir, but maybe you could have been a wee bit more inventive.








#3 Brutus Buckeye at Ohio State University is simply what his name suggests- an Ohio Buckeye nut. Brutus has been around since 1965 when the athletic council chose a buckeye as the college's mascot over a buck deer... Interesting decision Ohio.








#2 The Boll Weevil: University of Arkansas at Monticello. The boll weevil is a beetle that feeds on cotton buds and flowers. It infested all U.S. cotton-growing areas by the 1920s, devastating the industry and the people working in the American south. During the late 20th century it became a serious pest in South America as well. UAM’s early students, most of them the sons and daughters of delta cotton planters, selected the Boll Weevil as their mascot...
So they chose the biggest pest they knew of, which was putting their families out of business, to represent them as a college mascot. What do they cheer at games? "GO PESTS!"???






#1 At Evergreen State University, they chose the largest burrowing clam in the world as their mascot. According to the college's website, "The appearance of geoduck's large, protruding siphon has led to the belief that the geoduck has the properties of an aphrodisiac." Erm.... Take from that what you will people....



However, before I go, I MUST share with you the Geoduck Fight Song because I literally laughed out loud when I read it. I mean, Are they SERIOUS!?


The Geoduck Fight Song
words and music by Malcolm Stilson, 1971

Go, Geoducks go,
Through the mud and the sand,
let's go.
Siphon high, squirt it out,
swivel all about,
let it all hang out.

Go, Geoducks go,
Stretch your necks when the tide
is low
Siphon high, squirt it out,
swivel all about,
let it all hang out.


Wow...

On that lovely note, thanks for reading!

Love Always,
Kayelee

3 comments:

John Truett April 21, 2010 at 8:49 AM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
tjscouten April 4, 2011 at 11:11 AM  

I'm wearing an old Orange Men Sweatshirt right now, you're right, it's so lame. haha

paper.is.cool August 11, 2011 at 1:54 AM  

What about the Virginia Tech "Hokie"? It's a wild turkey with its own dance...

About this blog

About Me

My photo
I've moved 13 or 14 or 20 times in my life... Not totally sure. I like working with kids, reading books, kayaking and canoeing... anything like that that keeps me ABOVE the water. I'm afraid of Sea Creatures, (particularly sharks) semi-trucks, and cows. ...In that order. My favorite food is bread followed by rice. What can I say, I like carbs. I have a long haired chihuahua that I am fairly convinced is an alien spy. But I love her nonetheless. (silly emotional humans) I'm convinced I will one day play the character my sister named after me in the book she is writing.. Because I KNOW it will be a movie. She's a villain ;)

Followers